I learned to knit several years ago when one of my aunts agreed to teach me. She taught me to cast on, knit, and purl. I tried to start a hat on two straight 4mm needles, but was eventually frustrated and had given up this new hobby.
In the fall of 2005 I was again interested in knitting. It’s been a great way to relax, and since starting I have completed two scarves, three pairs of fingerless mittens, and a small camera cozy.
. My First Scarf (12.2005) – designed by me
– 4mm needles – Red Heart Super Saver 100% acrylic yarn
– stockinette with twisted knit stitches + garter stitch border
. Simple Rib Scarf (11.2005) – 2×2 rib stitch
– 5.5mm needles – Bernat denim, 30% cotton 70% acrylic yarn
– k2 p2 scarf
. Cheats Fingerless Mittens (12.2005) – pattern here @ ohmystars.net
– 3 pairs (1 3.25mm needles, 2 6mm needles) – 100% acrylic yarn
. Mittens, KNITTING OLYMPICS entry (yarnharlot.ca for more)
– 3.25mm DPNs, Bernat denim yarn
– Olympic GOLD! How satisfying.
. 2×2 rib scarf (a gift!)
– knit on 5.5mm bamboo needles in Bernat Harmony yarn
.Irish Hiking Scarf (pattern here)
– knit on 4mm needles in Paton’s Classic Merino Wool in Peacock
.Cases & Cozies
– made up my own patterns as I went
– camera cozy (for my casio ex-z30), Bernat Denim, with cable
– iPod cozy (a gift), Paton’s Classic in Peacock, with button
– iPod Nano cozy (for myself), Paton’s Classic in Dark Grey, with button
. stockinette scarf with two strands of acrylic yarn
. “Mom’s Sophisticated Scarf” designed by Nicholas Caratzas and published in Debbie Stoller’s Stitch n’ Bitch Nation using Paton’s Classic Wool.
. 2×2 ribbed scarf in Paton’s Bohemian “Cranberry Cafe” to be a gift