Ottawa BluesFest 2006 July 25, 2006Posted by jessicraft in music, photography.
Every summer in Ottawa we have lots of fantastic music festivals. I’ve usually caught at least one show at BluesFest each summer for the past few years, back as far as the festival was held at LeBreton. I saw Matthew Good Band as part of the festival as well as The Tragically Hip and Sarah Harmer. Last year I had really wanted a pass but couldn’t find enough people to go, so I just went one night – any night, I said, I just wanted to go. A friend and I went on the only night in the entire history of the festival, according to the news then, that a night was actually cancelled (not just delayed) due to rain (and, well, thunder – lots of it). We saw Xavier Rudd, Michael Franti, Dutch Mason, and Keller Williams. That was the first time I went and wandered from stage to stage checking things out – I had never heard of Xavier Rudd and he was so much fun that my friend and I each bought a couple of his CDs.
I was totally stoked this year to be able to get a full pass for the festival, it was definitely worth it. I saw a lot of great people and while I don’t have much commentary on photo-takin’-stuff I felt like sharing a bunch of pictures from the week. So, here’s who I saw:
Corb Lund (just a couple songs)
Great Big Sea
Michael Franti & Spearhead
Sharon Riley & Faith Chorale
Chicago Blues Reunion
KC & the Sunshine Band
The New Pornographers
- Seu Jorge – very cool.
- Michael Franti was outstanding and I’ve just ordered my copy of Yell Fire!. Check him out if you get the chance, you’ll have a good time and you’ll feel better.
- Blue Rodeo was stellar, second time I’ve seen ’em and I’ll see ’em again if I can, too. You can’t help but want to make out with Jim Cuddy, seriously.
- Much as I enjoyed Mobile, Live was the highlight of that night. Was surprised at how many of their songs I knew and how ridiculously happy those guys seem on stage. It’s very cool to watch a band really look like they’re enjoying themselves. Played a lot of old hits which I appreciated ’cause I knew ’em. Awesome stuff.
- Etta. Freakin’. James. ETTA JAMES! What can I say; it’s Etta, baby, and she was fabulous. What fun!
- Metric puts on a good, fun, high-energy show. Would definitely go see them again, would go see just about any of these people again but hopefully in a cooler setting – God it was hot out during the festival.
- Ottawa’s Hilotrons were a real treat, my first time seeing them but not my first attempt to. They make you wanna get up and move, and many people did despite the heat. They’re another must-see-again band. Check them out, you won’t be disappointed.
- Boogie Blast? Best crowd of the whole thing. We had a great time shmoozin’ with people who could’ve easily been our parents (hehehe) and I think Sister Sledge’s “He’s the Greatest Dancer” should’ve been dedicated to the dude near us in the crowd. Red Shirt Guy, you were awesome.
And now for a few photos… :
Location, Location, Location: Ottawa City Hall
Bein’ in the Crowd: Blue Rodeo
Live @ Main Stage, BluesFest 2006
Metric @ MBNA Stage, BluesFest 2006
Hilotrons @ Blacksheep Stage, Bluesfest 2006
Sea o’ People
Ottawa @ Night
It was a great week, a lot of fun, anyone who enjoys live music should get to Ottawa and go. Best part of the summers, here, in my opinion.